Midlife Crisis

Midlife Crisis

When I was young I often thought
I’d be a plucky astronaut
But the wildest trips I’ve had to date
Have been on the A68

When I was young I thought there’d be
Just one true love out there for me
But I didn’t have to travel far
I married Sheila from HR

When I was young I thought there’d be
No need for sleep for folks like me,
And in the end I was kinda right
The baby stays up half the night

When I was young I didn’t see
What the future had in hold for me
A doughy joke, devoid of plans
With a CV written in comic sans

When I was young my life was great
Without so much dumped on my plate
Without the pressure bearing down
On my shitty house in this shitty town

Pressure to try and clear my debts
Pressure to give up cigarettes
Pressure to bring the kids up right
Pressure to make verse rhyme and scan

And as my time slowly advances
I’m looking out for second chances
To start to wrestle back control
To pull me out of this sinkhole

But as I grow up it’s clear to see
It can never now be
 just
       about

     me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What If?

The world is full of Gareth Southgates

Going Viral